I’m joining Anne Bogel of Modern Mrs. Darcy in sharing what’s saving my life right now in the throes of Winter!
I agree with Anne that February is the cruelest month and I’m excited to see what others share that keeps them sane during the winter months!
So, here’s my list!
1. Good Cheap Eats Taco Seasoning Mix. I find awesome recipes all the time on Jessica Fisher’s Good Cheap Eats blog but was skeptical about her taco seasoning mix. I had tried other DIY taco mixes but hadn’t liked the results.
But Jessica’s recipe rocks…it’s simple and makes enough for several meals (a bonus). In full disclosure, I use regular chili powder (couldn’t find chipotle chili at my local grocery) and I substituted onion powder for the onion flakes ( had powder but not flakes on hand). It’s still awesome with the substitutions! I love Mexican fare and having this taco mix on hand really saves my life right now!!
2. Ice Glazed Frozen Chicken Tenders. Continuing with the food theme, the frozen chicken tenders save my dinner prep life!! The tenders cook up so much faster than the frozen chicken breasts and a bag gets me through two meals! #winning
3. Walgreens App. I have a ton of photos held hostage on my iPhone. I used to wring my hands to try and get a photo book together, beautifully curated of course! With the Walgreens App I can quickly upload my most recent pics and choose the store location for pick up and within an hour they’re ready! There’s usually a discount code too. I then display my recent photos on a simple string with small clothes pins!
4. Traveling to a sunny tropical destination! Don’t hate me, but winter does affect our family’s moods and so we made a decision to travel to a guaranteed sunny destination during winter!
This year we traveled to Mexico over Christmas Break and Costa Rica two weeks ago. Spending time in a warm sun filled locale is a wonderful remedy to the cold grey days of winter.
5. 100 % Pure Lanolin for Chapped Lips. Winter brings on dry skin for many but for me it affects my lips the worst. I might even have a bad habit of licking my lips, even in subzero weather. Last year I highly recommended Dr. Lipp’s Nipple Balm (I know, that name!) here in an earlier blog post. I had received a sample in a Birch Box. But when I went to order a full size, the sticker shock drove me to find an alternative…because the only ingredient is 100% lanolin!
I saw where others recommended Lansinoh HPA Lanolin. And you’re right…that’s a product for breastfeeding mamas but I bought a big tube of it at Target and it’s exactly the same thing!! What I love about lanolin is that it creates a barrier and keeps my lips soft, even hours later! It’s also perfect for dry cuticles and skin.
6. Podcasts! I’m late to the game but I love listening to podcasts while on a long drive, flight or doing the mundane household chores. My favorites include:
- The Simple Show
- Stuff You Should Know
- What Should I Read Next (Anne’s New Podcast!)
7. This quote:
“O, while you live, tell truth, and shame the devil.” -William Shakespeare
Shakespeare always said it best! For some reason this quote deeply resonates with me and daily motivates me.
What’s getting you through these winter days? I’d love to hear from you! Comment below! Or join the link up here!